Dr. Emile Gatheir, S. J., Professor of Philosophy at the Sacred Heart College, Shembaganur, Kodaikanal, asked: “Can you kindly give me a summary of your teachings?”


 Maharishi .: They are found in small booklets, particularly Who am l?

 Devotee .: I shall read them. But may I have the central point of your teachings  from your lips?

 M.: The central point is the thing.

 D.: It is not clear.

 M.: Find the Centre.

 D.: I am from God. Is not God distinct from me?

 M.: Who asks this question? God does not ask it. You ask it. So find who  you are and then you may find if God is distinct from you.

 D.: But God is Perfect and I am imperfect. How can I ever know Him fully?

 M.: God does not say so. The question is for you. After finding who you are  you may see what God is.

 D.: But you have found your Self. Please let us know if God is distinct  from you.

 M.: It is a matter of experience. Each one must experience it himself.

 D.: Oh! I see. But God is Infinite and I am finite. I have a personality  which can never merge into God. Is it not so?

 M.: Infinity and Perfection do not admit of parts. If a finite being comes  out of infinity the perfection of infinity is marred. Thus your  statement is a contradiction in terms.

 D.: No. I see both God and creation.

 M.: How are you aware of your personality?

 D.: I have a soul. I know it by its activities.

 M.: Did you know it in deep sleep?

 D.: The activities are suspended in deep sleep.

 M.: But you exist in sleep. So do you now too. Which of these two is your  real state?

 D.: Sleep and waking are mere accidents. I am the substance behind the  accidents.

 (He looked up at the clock and said that it was time for him to catch  the train. He left after thanking Sri Bhagavan. So the conversation ended
 abruptly).

source: Talk 602
 Sri Ramana Maharishi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Sarada Devi Stotram : ~ Prakritim Paramam ~

Dr. S. RADHAKRISHNAN’S EDUCATIONAL IDEAS :

AWAKENED CITIZEN PROGRAM :