Lord Krishna, His Lilas and Teachings - 5. Sri Swami Sivananda


5 - Origin of Bhagavata : 1

Sri Vyasa was meditating on the sacred banks of the Sarasvati. His heart was in a disturbed condition. He had no satisfaction and peace. He reflected within himself, “I have observed strict Brahmacharya. I have paid due regard to the study of the Vedas, to the worship of preceptors and sacred fires. I have obeyed the commands of my preceptors. I have explained the meaning of the Vedas in the form of the Mahabharata wherein Dharmas and other things can be clearly understood by women, Sudras and others. Still I think my work is not fully done.”

At this juncture Narada appeared before Sri Vyasa. Narada said, “You have fully known all that is knowable. You have written the excellent Bharatam which contains everything. How is it you feel uneasy and dissatisfied?”

Sri Vyasa said, “I quite agree with what you say. Still I have no satisfaction. I want to know the cause of it from you. You are born of Brahma and you possess infinite knowledge.”

Narada said: “O great Muni! Thou hast treated of Dharma and other things but thou hast not recited the glory of Vaasudeva. For this reason, I think, the Lord is not satisfied. Therefore, O blessed one! write about the various glorious deeds of Lord Krishna, so that all people may obtain the final emancipation by knowing them. This universe is also an aspect of Bhagavan, because its creation, preservation and dissolution proceed from Him. Thou knowest all this thyself. But thou hast shown to others only a portion of this Truth. Therefore, O sage! sing the glory of the Omnipresent Hari, by knowing which even the wise reach the end of their quest. The wise know this alone and no other to be the remedy for the miseries of beings that are repeatedly tossed into Samsara.” Thereupon Sri Vyasa wrote Srimad Bhagavata and attained perfect peace of mind. He taught it to his son, Suka
The Bhagavata Purana

To be continued ..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Sarada Devi Stotram : ~ Prakritim Paramam ~

Dr. S. RADHAKRISHNAN’S EDUCATIONAL IDEAS :

AWAKENED CITIZEN PROGRAM :