Subtle message of vairagya :




Swamiji was invited for bhiksha at the residence of a local devotee,

who was a prosperous businessman with a large family,

all living together in a spacious house.

After the dinner was over, the devotee, abut sixty-five years of age, said:

“Swamiji, I have worked all my life and established my business.

Now I wish to take rest and retire.

What is the age at which one should take sannyasa?”

After some moments, Swamiji answered,

“When you find that your duties are over and your sons are capable of looking after the business.”


“But, Swamiji, my sons don’t let me.

They keep asking for advice even when they don’t need it.

They just don’t want me to leave the business,”

the host asserted respectfully.


Swamiji had a hearty laugh: “Never mind,” he said.

“In that case your daughter-in-law will certainly make you leave one of these days.”

The subtle message of vairagya had been delivered with wit.

Swami Chinmayananda

Chinmaya Mission


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Sarada Devi Stotram : ~ Prakritim Paramam ~

Dr. S. RADHAKRISHNAN’S EDUCATIONAL IDEAS :

AWAKENED CITIZEN PROGRAM :